Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Most Beautiful Letter So Far

This week happened. And it happened quick. Things just flew right by. My companion goes home in about 9 days. So... I am thinking of a lot of things. But it is going good. He is going home for his second time. The first time was for his knee. He had surgery.  He said that when he came out, guess how many people outside his family wanted him to go? None. He left anyways. He had to go home. Guess how many people wanted him to come back out of his friends? None. He came back out anyways. He has been a missionary since October 2011. He is happy he came out. 

The mission is the best choice I have made in my life. I will never regret this decision. While things might be hard, or I am missing all the chill new movies. Like Oblivion, I still haven't seen that. I have rubbed a PS4, but that is the closer I have gotten. I am missing this stuff, but I would not trade this for a second. 

One of the la's [less actives] in this ward served a mission in Boston. He didn't like that much, and I pity him. I feel so bad he didn't come out. Not whole heartedly. He had his weapons of rebellion, and he didn't let them go. He missed out and he will never be able to get that back. A member of the 70s was in his home last week and he still doesn't come to church. I wish I could let him redo that. I am so sorry that he did not serve to the best of his ability. 

I am so glad I am out here and serving. And remembering why Jacob [Osborn, our back door neighbor now serving in Chile] did not come back home. I will quote some of him: 

"When you see the peoples lives, broken; shattered; nothing left but a sad , shattered spirit, clinging to his addiction... something changes. You suddenly realize that there is something more important than scoring a Pentakill with Katarina, you feel something deep within, a certain sense of duty to help that poor broken man, huddled in the corner. and you don't have to ask yourself, 'how can I help him?' because the answer is clear. In moments like this it becomes glaringly, blindingly obvious that the gospel of Jesus Christ, the gospel that we have lived in our entire lives, is the answer to all of life's problems. No matter who you are, what you've done, or what you think you want to do, the message that we have heals. And when you get to that state, you realize that there is not a single more selfish act in the entire world than going home from your mission early." 

I testify to that. This is awesome. I know that this message really does heal. This week elder Bednar did a devo for the YSA ward and afterwards something happened to one of our new recent converts. She was baptized in November, but long story short she told us not to come over anymore. She is done with the church. She is making one of the biggest mistakes. She has known the truth and has a testimony, but the way she is coping with this problem is no bueno. Her name is Rachel and I feel so bad for her. I pray she will make it back someday. 

I know that this church is true. I know that it will heal and rescue people. When they put in some effort they can change and feel the love that the savior has for them. I am so sorry for the people who do not partake of this delicious fruit and will never know just how awesome it is to "have Jesus." 

Many people say that but they don't know really what it means. I know that he is my savior. And I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to know this. And that I am a missionary for my Savior and Lord Jesus Christ. This is a little sacrifice. I am so eternally grateful I am here. I urge everyone to come out that can. 

My trainer came out late and he loved his mission. He gave up two simple years and will never regret it. Neither will my current companion. The book of mormon is true and people who refuse to read it because they are "too kool" or some other pathetic excuse are missing out on everything. Everything we have comes from our loving Heavenly Father and I am willing to make this "sacrifice" because I love him. I put sacrifice in quotations because it is not a sacrifice. It is a blessing to come out here.

Elder Daines, tu hijo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brady will not be reading this blog, so if you want to make a comment to him, you'll have to write a letter. Comments here will only be read by family and friends.